Gastric Balloon in Iran; All You Need to Know
One of the well-known and effective ways for practical weight loss is placing a gastric balloon. Gastric balloons are usually outpatient procedures; they don’t take long to be performed.
People who are obese due to various reasons and most of the time do not lose weight even by changing their diet and exercise plan, typically consider various bariatric surgeries. One of these surgeries, which is very popular, is the gastric balloon procedure.
In this procedure, the surgeon places a balloon inside the patient’s stomach with the help of an endoscope. After the endoscope reaches the stomach, the surgeon fills the balloon with a solution called sterile saline solution until the balloon reaches the desired volume.
This operation is performed without causing any pain.
Gastric balloon procedures are favored in Iran, and patients from around the world can enjoy having a safe and comfortable gastric balloon procedure in Iran as the country provides multiple advantages for individuals who travel to Iran to undergo this procedure. From top-notch surgeons to well-equipped and advanced medical facilities and a developed and stable medical tourism infrastructure, Iran offers valuable features that lead to achieving the desired and favorable outcomes.
What is Gastric Balloon?
Gastric balloon surgery is one of the options to achieve a balanced weight. In this operation, which is a non-surgical and minimally invasive procedure, the specialist doctor performs a gastric balloon with the help of an endoscope device without making any incisions or carrying out surgery. An endoscope is a narrow and flexible tube with a lamp and a camera attached to its head.
During this procedure, the patient is first given a light sedative or anesthetic. Then, the desired balloon, which is a bag similar to a silicone balloon, is inserted into the patient’s stomach through the mouth and esophagus by an endoscope device. The balloon is deflated before entering the stomach.
After the endoscope reaches the stomach, the surgeon fills the balloon with a solution called sterile saline solution until the balloon reaches the desired volume. After the procedure, the patient does not need hospitalization and can return home on the same day.
After a certain period, when people reach their desired weight loss goal, they can remove the balloon by visiting a gastroenterologist. The doctor deflates the balloon by puncturing it and extracting the saline using a catheter, then using the endoscope to retrieve the deflated balloon.
Why Choose Iran for My Gastric Balloon?
Iran exhibits several commendable features and is an exceptional country in various dimensions. There are various reasons to choose Iran as your destination to undergo a gastric balloon procedure. These reasons are mentioned in the following lines:
- Professional medical skills: Iran has multiple qualified and well-educated gastroenterologists who are highly experienced in performing diverse bariatric surgeries. The high proficiency and skills of Iranian doctors can ensure that patients have a smooth and safe procedure and obtain the most optimum results.
- Advanced amenities: The modern and developed medical facilities in Iran are another crucial and outstanding factor. These medical facilities in Iran provide care and services to patients with the highest standards. Also, modern technology is used to carry out multiple procedures, which plays a vital role in the successful result of the procedure.
- Budget-friendliness: Iran is recognized as a country with reasonably priced medical care. The cost of a gastric balloon in Iran is much more affordable than in other countries. This feature makes Iran an ideal destination for gastric balloon procedures.
- Superfine medical tourism infrastructure: Iran has a robust and reliable medical tourism infrastructure, positioning it as an appealing choice for individuals seeking an optimal location to undergo gastric balloon procedures.
- Fantastic cultural adventure: Iran is known as a country with the most beautiful and spectacular spots and landscapes. It creates an opportunity for patients who travel to Iran for their gastric balloon procedure to explore and enjoy these sites and have a memorable experience.
Cost of Gastric Balloon in Iran
The cost of a gastric balloon in Iran starts from 1,500 USD and goes up to 2,000 USD. The cost of a gastric balloon in Iran varies from country to country as well as from city to city, and the differences are not only in the operation itself but also in the services provided by each hospital. Some factors that affect the price of a gastric balloon in Iran include:
- The medical facility: Gastric balloon procedure costs vary from hospital to hospital, and it is a determining factor in the cost of a gastric balloon in Iran.
- Experience of the selected doctor: The skills and experiences of the specialist doctor play a crucial role in influencing the cost of the gastric balloon in Iran. More well-known doctors with higher levels of expertise usually have higher salaries.
- Post-operative medical tests: The cost of a gastric balloon will vary depending on the number of tests required after the procedure. Some patients may need additional tests, such as an endoscopy or blood tests, to check the health of their stomach after the insertion of the weight loss balloon. Depending on the number and type of tests required after the procedure, the cost of a gastric balloon for each patient can increase.
- Specialized pieces of equipment: The equipment required for this procedure is different from the equipment used for other surgical procedures, such as open surgery. The main reason is that no incisions will be made during this process. Therefore, there will be no bleeding during or after the procedure. In addition, some tools used during this procedure, such as equipment, are used to monitor the progress of the method.
- The location of the hospital: The geographical location of the medical facility is of high importance. Usually, the cost of a gastric balloon in Iran in large cities is higher than in other cities.
- Type of gastric balloon procedure: There are several different gastric balloon procedure options, each with a different average cost.
To obtain an exact and detailed cost analysis, it is suggested to contact reputable online healthcare providers in Iran, like Avamedi. We are able to offer you personalized pricing information that aligns with your specific needs, goals, and circumstances.
Who Can Benefit from Gastric Balloon?
Making changes in the digestive system can have a significant effect on weight loss. However, gastric balloons are not recommended for all people. In fact, those who have abdominal obesity with a BMI above 30 can benefit the most from this procedure. If the BMI number is above 35, people can usually undergo a gastric balloon. BMI is actually an index that measures the ratio of a person’s weight and height, and it usually should be between 18 and 25. In this way, people who are severely overweight can benefit from this procedure after consultation. The second category is people who have underlying medical conditions due to obesity and overweight. People with sleep apnea, high risk of heart disease, advanced diabetes in relation to overweight, and severe joint pain can benefit from this procedure. Furthermore, the people who can gain advantages from gastric balloon procedure include those who have failed to lose weight despite following other methods seriously, people who do not have a disease that has led to excessive obesity, people who are prepared to make changes in their eating habits and lifestyle, and people who do not have alcohol use disorder.
Gastric Balloon Procedure
The gastric balloon procedure, like any other procedure, includes some steps to be performed. The gastroenterologist will explain these steps to you during the consultation sessions.
The following is the procedure for a gastric balloon in Iran:
- Local anesthesia is usually used to perform gastric balloon procedures. In addition, the anesthesiologist prescribes drugs that make the patient feel more comfortable. Once the patient is under anesthesia, the surgeon can begin the gastric balloon procedure.
- Although the type of selected balloon may differ, the method of inserting it into the stomach is the same. The balloon enters the stomach through the mouth. To do this, a flexible tube is connected to a deflated balloon and placed inside the mouth. There is a tiny camera at the end of the tube that allows the surgeon to guide the tube. The surgeon guides the tube gradually along the esophagus until it reaches the stomach. A specialized throat spray is administered to the posterior part of the throat to make this procedure easier. Once the tube is inserted into the stomach, it is immediately filled with saline or air. Then, the surgeon removes the tube from inside the stomach and mouth, and the procedure is over. This whole process takes about 30 minutes.
- After the procedure is done, the patient is transferred to the recovery room. During the time that the patient is in the recovery room, the medical team monitors the patient and makes sure that the patient is not in pain. The patient’s throat may be numb and sore. Usually, the patient can go home on the same day of the procedure.
Gastric Balloon Recovery
Post-operative recovery of the gastric balloon procedure is different for each patient, and it depends on the type of balloon function and the degree of the patient’s adaptation. In this case, the body needs about three days to rest and gradually return to its normal condition. Also,
- After a gastric balloon in Iran, a friend or a family member should accompany the patient.
- Following a balanced diet helps a person in the stages following gastric balloon in Iran. The different stages of this diet are from liquid to solid, and it aims to reduce the risk of unpleasant side effects such as nausea, vomiting, pain, and discomfort. It is essential not to skip any of the steps. Before returning to a regular diet, you must follow a modified diet for two weeks. The diet after the gastric balloon procedure is divided into four separate stages: liquid diet, use of pureed foods, soft food, and eating ordinary and regular foods.
- Usually, after a gastric balloon in Iran, the patient must have proper physical activity. Naturally, with the risk of dangers such as blood clots and embolisms, the patient should usually have light activity.
- Usually, the patient experiences nausea and possibly vomiting for 3 to 5 days after the procedure because the person’s stomach gradually gets used to keeping the balloon in place. Taking anti-nausea drugs helps in controlling the feeling of nausea. The position of the head being higher than the body and lying on the left side can also be helpful in this regard. Also, when returning to a regular diet, avoid drinking liquids 30 to 60 minutes before meals.
Gastric Balloon Pre-Operative Considerations
Preliminary to the gastric balloon in Iran, you may receive dietary guidance to gain more information about healthy eating habits and food guidance to help you have a better understanding of the limitations regarding the gastric balloon procedure.
The doctor will ask you not to drink anything for six hours before the procedure and not to eat anything for twelve hours before it. It is essential to follow these instructions because you may experience nausea and vomiting after inflating the balloon.
On the other hand, if you are taking a particular medicine, you should inform your doctor so that the doctor can give you instructions regarding the proper way to take it prior to gastric balloon surgery.
In addition, the doctor may ask you to go through the following tests and examinations:
- Pregnancy test
- Coagulation tests
- Test for diagnosis of parasites in the digestive system
- Medical tests to diagnose heart conditions
- Doing chest X-rays and lung function tests
- Upper endoscopy is an examination of the upper digestive system, including the stomach, esophagus, and duodenum.
- Abdominal ultrasound
- Conducting investigations associated with psychology and mental health.
Gastric Balloon Results
Generally, the results of a gastric balloon in Iran are durable. The results of a gastric balloon in Iran can be different for each individual. However, some aspects regarding the outcomes of a gastric balloon procedure are mentioned in the following lines:
- The most critical and primary aim of the gastric balloon procedure is weight loss. Gastric balloons usually remain inside the stomach for 6 to 12 months, and during this time, they cause weight loss from 10 to 30 kg.
- Another vital result is improved well-being achieved by weight loss through a gastric balloon in Iran. Some health conditions related to obesity, including high blood pressure, will be enhanced after the gastric balloon procedure.
In conclusion, gastric balloon surgery is a non-surgical and minimally invasive procedure in which a balloon is inserted into the patient’s stomach to help achieve weight loss. Iran is featured as an attractive destination for gastric balloon procedures due to its competent medical skills, developed medical facilities, budget-friendly costs, refined medical tourism infrastructure, and the opportunity for patients to enjoy the country’s cultural attractions. The cost of a gastric balloon in Iran differs depending on factors such as the medical facility, the experience of the doctor, post-operative medical tests, specialized equipment, the location of the hospital, and the type of gastric balloon procedure chosen. Gastric balloon procedures can be beneficial for individuals with abdominal obesity and a BMI above 30, especially those with a BMI above 35 or underlying medical conditions related to obesity. The procedure includes:
- Inserting a deflated balloon into the stomach through the mouth.
- Fill it with saline or air.
- Removing the insertion tube.
Recovery from the gastric balloon in Iran may take a few days, and a modified diet is followed to minimize side effects. Light physical activity is recommended, and the specialist doctor may prescribe anti-nausea medication. Pre-operative considerations include dietary guidance, fasting before the procedure, and undergoing various medical tests. The results of gastric balloon procedures generally include weight loss ranging from 10 to 30 kg and ameliorations in obesity-related health conditions. To learn more about a gastric balloon in Iran and explore additional services like Gastric Bypass in Iran and Gastric Sleeve in Iran, we recommend staying in contact with the expert team at Avamedi Health Group.