Gastric Sleeve in Iran; All You Need to Know
Gastric sleeve surgery, also known as sleeve gastrectomy, is a type of surgery aimed at changing the shape of the stomach and abdomen and will lead to a smaller stomach. This procedure causes weight loss.
A smaller stomach makes you take in fewer calories. After the gastric sleeve procedure, your body absorbs fewer calories and minerals. Also, your appetite will reduce due to the minimized signals sent from the stomach to the brain.
In gastric sleeve surgery or gastrectomy, the surgeon removes part of the stomach and sews the remaining parts together to create a new stomach or so-called “sleeve” shape. With a small stomach (about one-tenth the size of the stomach), you feel full much faster than before. Considering that you can no longer eat as much as you used to, you will lose weight, and you will reach your ideal body sooner. In addition, sleeve surgery removes the part of your stomach that produces appetite-increasing hormones.
Regarding considering a gastric sleeve in Iran, numerous advantages can be mentioned. Iran is highly known for its experienced surgeons, affordability, and patients’ positive reviews regarding obtaining the best results after surgery.
Continue reading to explore gastric sleeve surgery in Iran in detail.
What is Gastric Sleeve?
Gastric sleeve surgery is one of the most common and popular bariatric surgery methods. Unfortunately, some people fail to lose weight despite proper diet and regular exercise. The only way that is suggested for such people is gastric sleeve surgery, which is very favored these days.
In this procedure, a large volume of the stomach is removed, which causes these people to consume a small amount of food or not to overeat; as a result, in addition to reaching the ideal weight, they also achieve complete treatment or significant improvement of diseases related to obesity.
Gastric sleeve is also known as laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. This method, by removing about 80% of your stomach and using minimally invasive surgical techniques, helps patients lose weight.
It is interesting to know that after removing a large volume of the stomach, the rest of the stomach looks like a sleeve, as the name of the procedure also shows this.
In this procedure, a bariatric surgeon removes part of the stomach and reattaches the remaining parts to create a new stomach. The size of this stomach is similar to a banana or a sleeve.
After performing this procedure, you will feel full faster, and you will not be able to eat as much as before, which will help you lose weight.
Why Choose Iran for My Gastric Sleeve?
There are numerous reasons to choose Iran as the destination to undergo gastric sleeve in Iran. Iran stands as the premier destination to consider for having various bariatric surgeries. These reasons include:
- The high level of experience and skills of the bariatric surgeons in Iran: Iran boasts a range of the best surgeons specializing in performing diverse weight loss surgeries, resulting in the most optimum outcomes and patient satisfaction.
- Cost-effectiveness: Bariatric surgeries in Iran are much more affordable than in other countries. It is while you can undergo gastric sleeve in Iran that is performed by the most qualified bariatric surgeons and receive the highest quality care and services at a lower price.
- Highly modern medical facilities: The modern and well-equipped medical facilities in Iran, including a number of the best hospitals and clinics in Iran, provide the best services for the patients and ensure a smooth and comfortable surgery process.
- Friendly people and rich cultural background: Iranian people are known for their friendly behavior with other people, especially people from other countries. Also, during your medical journey to Iran, you can enjoy the country’s rich history and spectacular sites and have a great time visiting them.
- Medical Tourism Infrastructure: Another fantastic reason to choose Iran for your gastric sleeve procedure is the reliable and solid online healthcare providers in Iran who assist you throughout your medical journey and provide you with guidelines and information regarding all aspects of your procedure from A to Z. If you are seeking a reputable online healthcare provider and are contemplating undergoing gastric sleeve surgery in Iran, you can reach out to Avamedi Health Group for a complimentary and customized consultation, ensuring a seamless medical journey.
Gastric Sleeve Cost in Iran
The cost of a gastric sleeve in Iran ranges from 3,500 USD to 6,000 USD. Gastric sleeves have become one of the most popular bariatric surgeries. Many factors affect the cost of a gastric sleeve in Iran, which include:
- Type of surgery and its complexity: One of the factors that have a significant impact on the cost of sleeve gastrectomy in Iran is the type of procedure that the doctor chooses due to the patient’s condition. There are various surgeries to treat obesity, such as gastric bypass and sleeve surgery. Regarding sleeve surgery, because a part of the digestive system is removed, it is considered a complex and sensitive surgery; therefore, the cost of this procedure may be higher than that of other operations.
- Surgical instruments: This procedure is a sensitive operation. Therefore, the equipment and tools used in this operation must be first class. It is better to know that the higher the quality of the surgical tools and equipment, the more they prevent complications after the operation.
- Type of hospital: It is crucial to which medical facility your procedure is being performed in.
Who Can Benefit from Sleeve Gastrectomy?
Sleeve gastrectomy is one of the options that is performed after many efforts to improve exercise and eating habits have failed.
But in general, the below-mentioned people can benefit from gastric sleeve surgery:
- Body mass index over 40: For gastric sleeve procedures, the individual’s body mass index must be above 40; in other words, it can be said that the person is obese.
- Having high blood pressure or diabetes: Also, suppose a person with high blood pressure or diabetes and other underlying health conditions related to obesity has a body mass index between 35 and 39.9. In that case, this person is considered one of the candidates for gastric sleeve surgery.
- Obesity over 45 kg: People with excess weight of more than 45.5 kg are also candidates for this procedure.
- People with stress-induced obesity: Finally, if psychological disorders cause a person’s obesity, that person can benefit from this surgery for weight loss.
Gastric Sleeve (Sleeve Gastrectomy) Procedure
This surgery is performed using one of the most up-to-date methods available in the world. Gastric sleeve surgery is performed using the laparoscopic method and using a camera and tools that are inserted through the holes created in the abdomen.
In performing this procedure, after anesthesia, several tiny incisions are made in the abdomen, and there will be no large incisions on this site. Then, a tube is inserted into the stomach for the desired size pattern. After inserting the equipment required for surgery (such as a camera, cautery, scissors, and stapler…) from the incisions made, the excess amount of the stomach is removed. In the last step, the surgeon seals the stomach using sutures or staples.
The time of this surgery will be different according to the skill and experience of the surgeon and also the condition of the patient.
After the surgery, you will enter the recovery department, and then you will be able to be discharged from the hospital after 24 hours.
Gastric Sleeve Recovery
The recovery period after gastric sleeve has two stages. People should rest for 14 to 21 days after gastric sleeve surgery. The first week is also known as the period of bed rest because a person should not do any activity at all and should only get out of bed to do necessary things, such as going to the bathroom.
The next period of recovery after sleeve gastrectomy surgery starts after the initial week and will last up to three weeks.
After the recovery period, a person can fully perform daily activities and is no longer required to take bed rest. The duration of the first and second recovery periods lasts a month in total.
During the second recovery period, you can easily carry out your daily activities. Still, you should be careful when performing some activities.
After the gastric sleeve procedure, the person suffers from deficiencies such as a lack of vitamins and supplements, and the doctor prescribes vitamins and supplements for the patient to prevent this problem.
Gastric Sleeve (Sleeve Gastrectomy) Pre-Operative Considerations
Preparation before the gastric sleeve in Iran includes:
- Find an excellent bariatric surgeon: The first step is to choose a qualified bariatric surgeon.
- Learn more about this surgery: If you are a candidate for gastric sleeve, you need to gain more information regarding all aspects of this procedure.
- Go on a diet: In general, the purpose of following this diet is to increase the success rate of the operation. The things you should follow in your diet include reducing carbohydrate intake, maximizing protein intake, and adding healthy fats to your diet. Additionally, two or three days before the surgery, you should have a liquid diet, such as watery soup, and reduce the consumption of solid foods. Furthermore, eight to twelve hours before the gastric sleeve in Iran, you should be fasting and not eat or drink anything.
- Go through the usual tests before weight loss surgery.
- Quit smoking and avoid drinking alcohol.
- You should avoid taking these medicines before gastric sleeve surgery: Aspirin, ibuprofen, Vitamin E, arthritis medications, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, herbal supplements, and anticoagulants (blood thinners).
Gastric Sleeve (Sleeve Gastrectomy) Results
Sleeve gastrectomy offers the potential for lasting weight reduction. Patients lose a third of their body weight a year after gastric sleeve surgery but may observe significant changes for up to 6 months. With gastric sleeve surgery, the feeling of hunger and appetite is reduced. With this method, plasma ghrelin levels are significantly reduced in the early postoperative period and remain consistently low for years after surgery. 85% of patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) recover after weight loss and undergoing sleeve gastrectomy procedures. This method can also relieve joint pain caused by excess weight.
In conclusion, gastric sleeve surgery, also known as sleeve gastrectomy, is a procedure that reduces the size of the stomach, leading to weight loss. After the surgery, patients experience a smaller stomach capacity, resulting in reduced calorie intake and decreased appetite. Gastric sleeve surgery is popular in Iran due to the country’s experienced surgeons, affordability, and positive patient reviews. It is a safe and effective option for individuals who have struggled with weight loss through other means. The procedure is performed laparoscopically, and the recovery period typically lasts around a month. Gastric sleeve surgery provides long-term weight reduction, with patients losing a significant amount of weight within the first year and experiencing reduced hunger and appetite.
Additionally, it can have positive effects on conditions such as non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and joint pain caused by excess weight.
To obtain further details about gastric sleeve in Iran and other services such as Gastric Balloon in Iran and Gastric Bypass in Iran, feel free to reach out to Avamedi for additional information.