Knee Replacement in Iran: All You Need to Know
Knee Replacement in Iran, also known as knee arthroplasty or total knee replacement, is commonly recognized as total knee replacement and is a very reliable procedure with predictable results. Knee replacement is performed to help reduce pain and improve knee function in a person with severe knee pain. This procedure includes removing the damaged bone and cartilage from the femur, tibia, and sometimes the patella and then replacing it with an artificial joint made of metal, plastic, and polymer.
One of the most important causes of knee joint damage is the wear and tear of the joint due to knee arthritis. Knee arthritis is a progressive disease that occurs in people of different ages. There are solutions to treat this disease, but one of the main and best methods of treating knee arthritis is knee joint replacement surgery.
Orthopedic procedures, including knee replacement in Iran, are widely requested and highly admired due to the great demand. Iran has an array of advantages to offer to patients who need diverse orthopedic procedures, such as knee replacement in Iran. Knee replacement procedures in Iran are performed by the best orthopedic surgeons who have the most astonishing and successful track records and have received positive reviews over the years.
Stay updated with us and delve into the comprehensive article offered by Avamedi as we delve into various facets of knee replacement in Iran.
What is Knee Replacement?
Knee replacement or arthroplasty is performed to relieve pain and improve knee joint function. In this surgery, the damaged joints, including the femur, kneecap, and leg, are removed, and an artificial joint (prosthesis) is placed in its place. Prostheses can be made of metal, ceramic, or heavy plastic. Arthroplasty can be performed for various body joints, including the shoulder, elbow, and ankle. But this surgery is mainly carried out to replace the knee and hip joints. When other treatments are not effective, and the person may lose the ability to move the joints, the specialist surgeon recommends this surgery.
The main reason that people consider a knee replacement is arthritis. Age-related diseases are widespread and occur with the destruction of cartilage – the cushion between the knee and bone joints.
Other causes include
Rheumatoid arthritis or RA: Rheumatoid arthritis occurs when the body’s immune system attacks and destroys the knee lining.
Deformities: People with club feet or crossed knees usually have surgery to restore the knee position.
Knee injury: Sometimes, bone fractures or ligament tears around the knee lead to joint inflammation, which is accompanied by severe pain and limited movement.
After knee replacement, the patient has less pain and can be more active as the procedure restores mobility.
Why Should You Travel to Iran for a Knee Replacement?
Today, with the changes in human lifestyle, diseases and medical problems have also changed. The knee joint is one of the most complex parts of the body, and due to its location, it is subject to severe damage. Pains and discomforts with the knee joint have become very common in recent years, but fortunately, with the advancement of medical science along with the knowledge of making efficient prostheses, knee replacement (knee arthroplasty) has become one of the most successful surgeries that yield positive results. In this regard, it must be noted that along with numerous cosmetic and plastic surgeries completed in Iran each year, there is a high rate of medical procedures, including orthopedic surgeries performed in Iran, that have resulted in the most excellent outcomes. Iran is the reputable and top destination to consider for knee replacement surgery. The country offers a range of advantages in terms of knee replacement procedures. These advantages are:
- Expert and skilled orthopedic surgeons
- Modern and developed medical facilities, including the best hospitals and clinics
- The lower cost and the money-saving aspect of knee replacement in Iran in comparison with other countries
- The cultural legacy and traditions
- Online healthcare providers act as facilitators to help and accommodate you throughout your medical journey
Cost of Total Knee Replacement in Iran
The cost of knee replacement in Iran covers a spectrum of prices, starting at 3,000 USD and reaching up to 4,000 USD. Many factors affect the price of knee replacement in Iran, which include:
- The severity of joint damage
- Physical condition and age of the patient,
- Type of surgery,
- Type of the artificial joint,
- The place where the surgery is performed,
- Surgeon’s salary
- Pre-operative tests and X-rays
- Pre- and post-operative visits
- Drugs expenditure
- Complementary care, such as physiotherapy
In general, based on the severity of the injury, the cost of knee replacement varies according to whether it is a total or partial knee replacement. On the other hand, the type of joint placed and its brand can also play an influential role in the final costs of the operation. Additionally, the hospital, as well as the provided services, are other determining factors of the cost of knee replacement in Iran. On the other hand, a doctor’s experience and expertise can play a significant role in the range of their salary. Of course, note that the high cost does not indicate the high expertise of the surgeon. In fact, the level of satisfaction of previous patients and the number of successful surgeries is proof of the surgeon’s high expertise and skills.
How is Total Knee Replacement Performed in Iran?
Fortunately, a considerable percentage of knee replacement surgeries are successful, and artificial joints have been effective in improving a person’s condition for many years and helping patients return to everyday life.
The process of a total Knee replacement in Iran is performed as follows:
- With the diagnosis of the anesthesiologist, one of the methods of general anesthesia, spinal or epidural anesthesia, is chosen.
- First, by making a small incision in the knee joint area, the orthopedic surgeon accesses the internal areas and bones of the joint area.
- In the next step, the damaged areas (cartilage and articular surface of femur and tibia) are removed by special surgical tools.
- According to the amount and type of damage in each patient, the doctor replaces the damaged joint with unique implants and prostheses.
- The implant is made of metal and plastic components, and at this stage, it is connected to the femur and tibia bones by a material called “bone cement.” Also, considering the patient’s condition, the surgeon may choose the biological stabilization method to connect the bone with the artificial joint.
- In the last step, the orthopedic surgeon closes the incision site using sutures. Afterward, the patient is moved to the recovery area. Then, the recovery period and physical therapy for the patient begins.
Suppose you wish to gather more extensive and in-depth details about knee replacement in Iran and expand your understanding of the knee replacement procedure in Iran. In that case, you can contact the expert team at Avamedi Health Group. We will be there to support you every step of the way during your medical journey.
Why is a Knee Arthroplasty Needed?
The knee joint wear and tear causes the bones to get closer to each other, and their contact with each other reduces the range of motion of the knee to a great extent. In addition to being limited in daily activities such as climbing stairs, the patient will suffer from severe pain in the knee area. The knee replacement for these people eliminates the pain caused by knee wear and tear, rheumatism, joint destruction, and knee arthritis. After a short period, the patient returns to their daily activities. Cartilage loss, wear and tear of the joint, its inflammation, and, ultimately, the ineffectiveness of non-surgical treatments such as physical therapy, special exercises, and oral medications are the leading causes of knee replacement. At this stage, the orthopedic surgeon helps to improve the patient’s condition by performing surgery and using special prostheses, and after the recovery period, the knee pain will disappear completely. But what causes cartilage loss and Osteoarthritis?
- Knee damage and injury: The knee joint is often injured due to unexpected events such as car accidents.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: It is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks the lining of the joints and causes inflammation.
- Arthritis: Cartilage loss causes bones to rub against each other and causes inflammation and severe pain.
- Osteoarthritis: It is the most common type of arthritis that affects millions of people around the world. This disease occurs when the protective cartilage at the end of the bone is destroyed. Osteoarthritis can affect any joint, but it is most common in the hands, knees, hips, and spine.
- Osteoporosis: With age, the chance of bone fracture and inflammation increases, and in some cases, it causes knee joint loss.
What to Do Before Knee Arthroplasty?
Before the knee replacement procedure, you will have a consultation with the orthopedic surgeon. In this session, ask all your questions and get information about the procedure. You should also inform the doctor about your medical history and the medications you are taking. According to the medical records, blood tests or other diagnostic tests may be ordered preceding the knee replacement in Iran.
- If you are allergic to certain drugs, latex, or anesthetics, be sure to inform your surgeon.
- At least two weeks before the operation, you should stop taking anticoagulants or drugs that affect blood clotting.
- You must fast 8 hours before the operation.
- You will likely need crutches or a walker for a few weeks following the surgery. You must purchase all the required elements before the procedure.
Knee Joint Replacement Recovery
When you undergo knee replacement surgery, recovery is a critical step. At this stage, you will stand on your feet again and resume your daily activities.
Each surgeon may recommend different care, and each person’s recovery time is unique.
- The first day after knee replacement surgery: The recovery period begins immediately after regaining consciousness. Within 24 hours following the knee replacement in Iran, a physical therapist will help you stand and walk using an assistive device, including a walker and cane.
- The second day after knee replacement surgery: On the second day, you may walk for a short time using an assistive device. As you recover from surgery, your activity level will gradually increase.
- How to shower after knee surgery: If the surgeon has used waterproof dressings post-surgical, you can shower the day after surgery. If non-waterproof dressings are used, you should avoid showering for 5 to 7 days after surgery and avoid wetting the surgical site for 3 to 4 weeks until the incision is fully healed.
- Three weeks after knee replacement surgery: By the time you return home or while you are in the hospital, you should be able to move more freely while experiencing less pain. You will need less pain medication. Your daily schedule includes exercises given to you by your physical therapist. These exercises will improve your mobility and range of motion.
- 4 to 6 weeks after knee surgery: If you follow your training and recovery program carefully and patiently, you will see a significant improvement in your knee. By that time, the swelling and inflammation should have subsided. The goal at this stage is to increase the strength and range of motion of the knee using physiotherapy. Your physical therapist may ask you to walk for a longer time and not use the assistive devices. Ideally, at this point, you’ll feel like you’re regaining your range of motion. Talk to your physical therapist and surgeon about when to return to work and daily activities. By the end of this course, you will likely be able to walk more and rely less on assistive devices. You can also do more everyday tasks such as cooking and cleaning the house. Also, you can return to work within 4 to 6 weeks. If your job requires walking, traveling, or lifting, it may take up to 3 months to return to work. Some people can start driving after knee replacement procedure within 4 to 6 weeks after surgery. You can travel after six weeks. Before this time, prolonged sitting time during travel can increase the risk of blood clots.
What to Do After Knee Arthroplasty?
Knee replacement surgery is one of the surgeries that involves a relatively long recovery period. For this reason, the recovery period and surgery aftercare are of great importance, and the patient must follow all the tips given by the orthopedic surgeon. The post-operative instructions after knee replacement in Iran are examined in the following lines:
- When the patient is discharged from the hospital, they must use a cane or a walker to help them walk.
- The important thing about the wound dressing is that it is to be changed on time, which is typically done in the doctor’s office the first week after surgery.
- Regarding walking with crutches, it must be mentioned that approximately four to eight weeks later, the patient can walk without using crutches or a walker.
- Physiotherapy is another crucial factor after surgery that will help strengthen muscle strength and improve the range of motion of the knee joint.
- The patient should rest as much as possible at home.
- Activities such as exercise and cycling are prohibited for a few weeks after surgery. However, with the recovery of the knee joint, the patient will be able to perform such activities.
- It is forbidden to sit for more than an hour because sitting for a long time can increase the swelling in the leg.
- Generally, driving is prohibited for four weeks following the surgery.
- Lifting heavy objects of more than 5 kg is prohibited until a few weeks after surgery.
- After being discharged from the hospital, the patient can have the usual diet. However, a healthy and balanced diet rich in fiber is always recommended to prevent constipation. Drinking a sufficient amount of water and fluids is recommended.
- The doctor will provide the patient with the necessary instructions regarding the time to start the medication. The patient must take blood thinners to prevent blood clotting.
- Attending physiotherapy sessions is essential to improve the range of motion and relieve pain.
In conclusion, knee replacement, also known as knee arthroplasty, is a surgical procedure performed to relieve pain and enhance knee joint function. Iran is recognized as a reputable destination for knee replacement procedures because of its skilled orthopedic surgeons, high-tech medical facilities, low cost compared to other countries, cultural legacy, and the presence of online healthcare providers. The cost of knee replacement in Iran varies based on factors such as the severity of joint damage, surgeon’s salary, and complementary care. Before undergoing knee replacement in Iran, patients should consult with their orthopedic surgeon, provide medical history and medication information, and make necessary preparations. The recovery process of knee replacement in Iran involves physical therapy, gradually increasing activity levels, wound care, and following post-operative instructions provided by the surgeon. Physiotherapy plays a fundamental role in strengthening muscles and improving knee joint mobility. It is essential to follow the surgeon’s instructions relating to rest, restricted activities, medication, and dietary guidelines. For the most all-encompassing information about knee replacement in Iran, please get in touch with Avamedi. We will be your guide and will assist you in organizing every detail from A to Z.